Friday, June 7, 2013

Just in the Blink....


And just like that it's over. You look, you blink, and it's gone. In the past. History.
Today Braxton had his kindergarten celebration. And what a wonderful celebration it was. I sat there and thought about the first time we entered into the classroom. How big it looked and how little Braxton seemed. He was shy and timid. Every night we had this awful, painful, pitiful, routine we'd go through. Right before bedtime it'd start and as soon as his feet hit the floor it continued. Question after question. Worry after worry. And then one day it just stopped. Something clicked and he was ok. If you knew his teachers you'd know why. We couldn't have picked a better set of teachers for him. I told dad this morning that whatever prayer I prayed last year for him I was going to begin it again this summer. He had a fabulous year and I can not believe that just like that. It's over.
On the way down to get Mckinley tonight Braxton was talking to me about his day. He was singing songs he'd learned and telling me "The Top Ten Reasons to Love Kindergarten" and he started to ask me about his birthday. I shared with him that when we found out we were having a baby, we were told not to make any plans for the beginning of June and that June 7 was his official "due date". Six years ago it was the day before the last day of school. I still remember how upset I woke up June 7, 2007 STILL pregnant. I just knew my baby was going to be early. I remember how sad I was when I went to bed that night STILL pregnant. I never stopped to think about all the June 7's to come when I would have something to celebrate. Although my sweet baby boy chose his own day to make his arrival, I think it's ironic that he graduated Kindergarten on this day, the day we were "expecting" him.
 Braxton never meets our expectations. He exceeds them.


No comments:

Post a Comment