Friday, April 13, 2012

Our Little Grace


Our baby girl went to bed on Wednesday night and seemed to be fine. We heard something that we thought was her talking on the monitor about 10pm and when we realized it was her breathing we went flying in there. I picked her up and by the way she sounded scared she me to death. I immediately called the doctors office and they told me to take her to the Emergency Room.
We decided we'd wait to see if she improved but by 10:40 the breathing seemed to begin scaring her. She'd thrash when we laid her down. She'd cry when she coughed. Brandon stayed at home with Brax so he wouldn't be scared or disturbed and I picked up dad and we made our first visit (and hopefully last) to the Emergency room. Mckinley was taken back quickly and was such a baby doll. The nurses were coming in just to see her. About 2:00am and after 2 chest x-rays, we left with a diagnosis of croup and we're told to follow up with her doctor in 3 days!
No sooner had we gotten home and her breathing became VERY labored. For a few minutes I thought we were going to have to call 911. We put her in the shower, turned on the humidifier, and as a last resort dressed her warmly and took her outside. It happened to be 30 degrees outside so in our favor this worked. Brandon's parents came by about 5am to check on things and helped to calm me down!
I called the doctor at 8am sharp and took her in at 9:45. Diagnosis= Croup (duh) but this time we were sent home with a prescription for a steroid. After one dose you could tell a difference. She slept for a good part of the afternoon.
I had croup, a lot actually, as a child. When Mck would cough, the sound brought memories of when I had it back. It was no big deal when I was a kid. But I think I realized how my parents might have felt. It is heartbreaking when your child is in pain or is hurting and you can't do anything about it. It's an awful feeling when you don't see the sunshine in their eyes that's always there and you know they don't feel good. I had to shed a few tears yesterday morning when she was crying.
She's much better today. You can even see from the top picture (sideways) how she was feeling after the doctors visit yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Levi and Chase recently had Croup. It came on very quickly with Levi and they rushed him to the ER. He was gasping for air. Holly was terrified! I can only imagine! I am glad I am marrying a wonderful man who will keep me calm when I am freaking out :) After everything you guys are going through, I will well educated :) I am glad she is doing better!

    ReplyDelete