Monday, September 26, 2011

Already a Fan



To hear the story correctly, it starts off with a 4 year old little boy who finds himself a big brother to a little girl. That's when all the trouble began!
That's what my big brother wrote in his 1st grade autobiography that we found years ago. I think about him saying that and I laugh.
I remember playing with my big brother and wanting so bad to be included. He had the best tree house ever and on the outside he posted a sign that said "No Girls Allowed". This wouldn't have been so bad except that almost all the neighborhood friends he played with were girls. It should have just said, "No Sisters Allowed". He was always so much fun and regardless of how many times he'd pinch our shoulders, push our pinkies back, or how hard he tried to "ignore" us, I still could never get enough.
I find myself many years later wandering if history is again about to repeat itself. My little boy is now a 4 year old that has found himself a big brother to a little girl too. This afternoon she had just woken up and it was time for me to get him up so I took her with me. As I sat there and looked at both of my babies, I began to have visions of all the fun that they would have together, the memories that they'd make together, and of all of the times they'd need each other with the ups and downs in life and have one another. I began to hope that out of all of my memories of growing up with my big brother she gets just as many to experience too with hers. I laid her in his bed and thought about my big brother. I realized that no matter how far away someone is there as close a you want them to be.
A sibling is much more than someone you grow up with. It's a friend that you always have. I want my children to grow up to be friends. Of all the things that we can provide, I think it's the best gift I could ever give my children!

2 comments:

  1. This is sweet Mere! I hope they become and remain friends. It is something that I don't have with my Bro's... but we are all different..However, I know if I need them, they got my back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mere, I'm catching up on blogs late. I love this post! I always think about Chris + Adam only having sisters(!) and I'm reminded of these types of memories. Adam told us once that his favorite times were when we "let him" sleep on our bedroom floor. He just wanted to be part of whatever Kate + I had. It seems so funny now, but Adam + Chris had the same...yet opposite...experience. I can't wait to hear how Brax breaks this down for us in years to come!! :)

    ReplyDelete