Thursday, August 2, 2012

Killing Me Softly......



Have you ever just watched someone? Or stared at someone and then when they look at you, you pretend you're not staring? That's been me a lot lately but I've been doing it to Braxton. I am having a really hard time with him started school in a few weeks. It's killing me. On one hand I'm so excited for him to make friends and to really begin finding out all that there is in this big world. But on the other I'm devastated that he'll be exposed to all the unkind people and things that are also out there. I've been thinking how next summer I most likely won't be able to tell him that his orange juice doesn't have pulp in it because he'll be able to read that YES IT DOES! I will no longer be able to spell things when he's around that I don't want him to know. And I can't continue to shield him from learning things that I don't think a little boy should know. But all of that is about to change.
I watched him this morning and literally his life just flashed before my eyes. My baby boy. About to start school. I keep asking people if it gets easier and I keep getting the same answer. No, it doesn't. Nobody told me about this.
For years, I've stood in the hallways at my school and watched parents take their babies to class on the first day. I have rolled my eyes before at the blubbery moms and dads that have dropped them off and are now leaving and thought, "Pull it together people". This year I'll be one of those parents. But I'll try to wait until I get back in the car! 

"There are two lasting bequests we can give our children.  One is roots.  The other is wings. " ~Hodding Carter, Jr.

1 comment:

  1. Ok..did you cry as you were writing this whole post? I almost did :)

    ReplyDelete