Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Different Bunch


If I think back to my life 12 years ago I am back as a junior in high school. I was 5 weeks away from taking a trip of a lifetime to Italy. School was just about to resume from Christmas break.
And on this very night my family was at the hospital going through the
worst night of our lives. Tonight marks the 12th anniversary of losing my mom. It's so hard to believe. 12 years ago. I get so sad when I think about this moment in time. The pain my heart felt, the emptiness, and the unexpectedness of it all. The days that followed were like a blur. We had just had Christmas. We had just had her. And now she was gone. Forever.
When I go back to 12 years ago I really do get sad. So I fast forward to where we are today and I think of all the things she's missed. My wonderful trip to Italy. Helping me get to ready for both of my proms. My high school graduation. Meeting my future husband. My wedding. My college graduation. The excitement when I got my first "real" job. The birth of my baby. Watching my baby grow. She's missed everything significant about my adult life and those of my siblings. But here we are. A different bunch as we say. We're all so different from when she knew us. A good different. We've grown in many ways, matured, and multiplied!
Every January 2nd, for the past 12 years, my family comes together again. The Christmas tree is sometimes still up and the pictures are not yet developed from the previous week and we remember our Treva. We gather and discuss who she was as a wife, a mother, a friend, and talk about who she would have been as a grandmother. This year because it was so cold outside we all met up at our house. Braxton had a ball.
I watched as he played with his Grandaddy and realized that he had no clue the significance of January 2 or of the purpose for our gathering tonight. But I also realized by watching him that his smile is the legacy that Treva has left on this earth!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I can't believe it has been 12 years. Mere, I still think of you and what you and your family went through. I can't even begin to imagine. I never met your mom, but I always enjoyed listening to stories about her. I know she is so proud of you and what you have accomplished! She is so proud of your father too! What a great man he is. He stepped in and took on the role of a mother and father. I look up to him and admire him for that! You have a strong family!

    As for Braxton, I know you will do a wonderful job carrying on the memory of your mama. I didn't have a grandmother growing up, but my mom always told me stories about my grandmother margaret. I can't wait to meet her one day and I feel that she is with me!

    Love you Mere bear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meredith. I am sad about your Mom. I know I will always feel a hole in my heart for my Dad. I can't imagine losing him when I was in high school like you lost your mom. I am really sorry. :( This month is the one year anniversary of his death and it is hard to believe because it feels like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete